Search

Google
 

Friday, February 1, 2008

Mel McDaniel

After honing his skills for years around Tulsa, OK, Mel McDaniel went off to Nashville, Anchorage, AK and then back to Nashville.

He wrote songs for Conway Twitty, Kenny Rogers and Bobby Goldsboro. Then in 1976 he signed a record deal with Capital.

Through the ‘70s and ‘80s he scored such hits as Louisiana Saturday Night, Big Ole Brew, Hello Daddy, Good Morning Darlin’, Take Me to the Country and I Call It Love.




Louisiana Saturday Night Video

Then in 1984, Mel McDaniel had the smash number 1 hit, Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On. I remember sitting in my car listening to KVOO 1170 AM from Tulsa, OK, when I heard radio legend, Billy Parker predict that the song was destined for number 1. I was thinking that I did not feel it was his best song, and if his others had not made it to the top, that surely that song wouldn’t. Boy was I wrong. It skyrocketed to the top.

Later Mel recorded Let It Roll and Stand Up.

In 1996, Mel had a near fatal auto accident that took several years to recover from.

He did recover and now has a very busy tour schedule.

I feel that Mel McDaniel would be a major hit with a Branson theater.

F. M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am an old friend (very old) of Mel's younger brother Mike McDaniel. I have not seen or spoken to him in nearly 36 years (when Mel was still in Alaska). Does anyone know where he might be? I heard a rumor that he had passed away, but would like to know for sure before I believe it. thanks Mb