Search

Google
 

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Barbara Mandrell

I believe that Barbara Mandrell is truly one of the queens of country music. While experiencing most of her success in the ‘70s and ‘80s, she is still a fan favorite and a big draw at concerts.

She is probably best known for her #1 hit, I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool, but also had several other chart toppers including Sleeping Single in a Double Bed and (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right.

She also found success with her own variety show which also featured her sisters, Louise and Irlene.

In 1984, Barbara nearly lost her life in a head on auto accident that also involved her 2 children. After a year long recovery, she resumed her career.



I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool Video


I attended one of Barbara’s concerts with Lee Greenwood in the early ‘80s and was thoroughly entertained. Also, on a side note, one of her other big hits, You Can Eat Crackers In My Bed, is a song that my best friend Arnold still thinks he should receive royalties from(an inside joke).




Barbara would be sure to pack them in to her own theater in Branson every time the doors opened. Come on Barbara, do us all a favor and move to Branson !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F. M.



4 comments:

Courtney said...

Great page!! Maybe we'll see a post about why Clay Aiken should be in Branson? ;)

Guess who. :)

Courtney said...

Just thought of another one. How about Capital Offense? I bet you don't know what famous person is in that rock band. I'll give you a hint, his name is in my screenname on here. ;)

Anonymous said...

Barbra used to headline the Grand Palace. She should definitely come back!

Back in 1994 Captain and Tennille performed for several weeks in October at the Grand Palace. I was pretty young then, but became an instant fan. I would love to see them back in Branson!

Anonymous said...

What year did Barbra Mandrel play the Grand Palace?????