Search

Google
 

Monday, December 17, 2007

Gene Watson

My first recollection of Gene Watson was in 1974 when he released the edgy Love in the Hot Afternoon. This was a song that had been rejected by many established artist because of its steamy overtones, but Gene took a risk and it paid off many times over.





Love in the Hot Afternoon Video

Gene followed up with such hits as Farewell Party (my personal favorite), Should I Come Home (Or Should I Go Crazy), Paper Rosie, and Nothing Sure Looked Good on You. It wasn’t until 1982 that he recorded his only number 1 hit, Fourteen Carat Mind.

In the ‘80s, Gene also had top 10 hits such as, Speak Softly (You’re Talking to My Heart), and You’re Out Doing What I’m Here Doing Without.

Gene has recorded several albums and CDs since, and tours occasionally.

I feel Gene Watson would be a perfect fit in Branson. With his pure country voice, and a string of hits, he would be sure to fill his own theater over and over again.

F.M.

No comments: